Sr. Packaging Design Engineer
Location: Hayward, CA
TransPak, a leading Supply Chain Management company which has grown rapidly by offering its customers unparalleled, end-to-end, supply chain solutions, has an immediate need for a Sr. Packaging Design Engineer. At TransPak we thrive by providing our customers with supply chain solutions to their seemingly impossible orders, and we achieve this through our "WE MAKE IT HAPPEN" philosophy that permeates the organization. If you have the same philosophy and want to join our Team, we invite you to demonstrate your “MAKE IT HAPPEN" attitude by immediately emailing your resume for consideration to Careers@transpak.com.
Position Objective: The Sr. Packaging Design Engineer, working under limited supervision, responsible for one or more of the Company's Packaging Engineering functions as it relates to specific division products, processes or work methods. Specific duties will vary according to discipline, division objectives and departmental requirements. Duties and responsibilities may change or vary depending on the specific needs of the business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties for the Packaging Engineering position are determined along functional lines and usually vary according to the specific customer requirements and may include the following:
- Design and implement packaging solutions for a variety of customer packaging projects with emphasis on cost reduction and standardization. Packaging designs to include but not limited to cushion foam packs, plastic corrugated, corrugated fiberboard, flexible bags, and crates for both re-use and one-way containers in support of new and existing products.
- Modify and/or evaluate existing package designs and requirements for customer systems, and/or sub system modules.
- Under supervision, develop written packaging specifications and ranslate requirements into technical written form.
- Utilize ACAD 3, SolidWorks, Artios. Etc. type software to document and release new designs and in conjunction with running the Kongsberg table for time sensitive packaging short run production.
- Under supervision, participate in the preparation of concept and feasibility studies.
- Minimal Interface with packaging suppliers to establish material specifications, ensure compliance, and on-time delivery of materials and services. Estimate costs and recommend tooling and process requirements.
- Utilizes Engineering Change Order (ECO) process to manage revision control.
- Under supervision, utilize knowledge of product fragility analysis & package qualification testing.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Duties will vary according to the project in progress and/or the specific goals of the department.
- Provide minimal technical support and training specific to supplier packaging issues.
The above job duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature of the work and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities.
- Basic understanding of standard packaging development processes.
- Knowledge of cushion packaging, corrugated fiberboard, and/or plastic corrugated packaging design.
- Knowledge of clean room packaging materials, commercial, and crating practices.
- Knowledge of standard product fragility analysis testing and package qualification testing.
- Knowledge of standard Engineering Change Order (ECO) processes.
- Other helpful knowledge: Engineering specification waiver process, product BOM structure, supplier problem sheet process, product safety design requirements, SEMI standards, first article inspection procedure, ergonomics, material handling.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Strong skills required in package design using ACAD, SolidWorks, ArtiosCAD.
- Problem solving ability.
- Experienced and competent with a Kongsberg table is desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and technical writing skills.
- Excellent customer presentation skills are required.
- 5 Years of experience in Packaging Design.
Education: B.S. in Packaging Design or similar Discipline.